Norm grew up in Midland, Michigan where he attended and graduated Midland High School in 1998. After high school, he received an Associates Degree in the applied Science of Criminal Justice from Delta Community College. While attending college, he was hired by the Midland County Sheriff Department as a part-time marine patrol Deputy. He then attended the Northeastern Police Academy at Delta College and graduated in December of 2001.
In November of 2002, he was hired by the Roscommon County Sheriff Department as a full-time Deputy. Over the course of the next six years as a Deputy, he was assigned to many positions such as school liaison, road patrol, marine and off road vehicle patrol, snowmobile patrol, and court security in the new Roscommon County Courts Facility. In 2004, he received a life saving commendation from the Roscommon County Sheriff Department.
Certifications & Training
- American Heart Association certified CPR / AED / First Aid Instructor
- Certified Advanced Hazardous Material Technician
- Certified Firefighter I and II
- Certified Fire Officer I and II
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician
- Certified Radar/LIDAR Operator
- Certified PBT & Datamaster Operator
- Certified in PPCT/ OC spray/ Freeze+P/ Taser X26/ MCOLES Firearms qualifications
- Certified in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Certified LEIN Operator
- Evidence Technician
- Department Armorer
- Firearms Instructor
- Department Field Training Officer
- First Line Supervision (Oct. 2017)
Sgt. LaBonte received two community service awards in 2011 and 2012 for his outstanding community involvement. Norm is also the Gerrish Township C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Response Team) Officer Representative.
Sgt. LaBonte was promoted from Officer to his current position of Road Patrol Sergeant on November 18, 2017. He originally joined the department on 12-21-2009.
E-mail Sgt. LaBonte or call me at 989-821-5207 ext 285