SCHOOL BUS SAFETY TIPS
Information courtesy of the American Red Cross and AAA of Michigan
Advice for kids to stay safe:
- Line up facing the school bus door-not along the side of the school bus.
- Don’t play in the street while waiting for the school bus.
- Carry your belongings in a backpack or book bag.
- Never reach under a school bus to get anything that has rolled or fallen underneath.
- After getting off the school bus, move immediately onto the sidewalk or road shoulder out of traffic.
- Wait for a signal from the bus driver before you cross the street. Walk at least 10 steps away from the front of the bus so the driver can see you.
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- Listen to and obey the school bus driver at all times.
- Sit quietly in the seat and speak quietly with other children.
School Bus Safety advice for Motorists:
- When the yellow lights on the school bus are blinking low, you may pass the bus but please go slow.
- When the yellow lights are flashing on top, please be prepared to stop.
- When red lights are flashing, stop at least 20 feet from the school bus and remain stopped until the red lights stop flashing.
- Obey the posted speed limits in residential and school zones.